Virtual Tour

Take the Virtual Tour

locate-tour-sites

Ochs Department Store

414-420 Central Avenue N.

Style: Classical Revival influences

Year Built: 1908

ochdepartstoreThe facade of this Central Avenue store was obscured by metal alterations for many years, but has been recently restored to reflect its original appearance. Family-operated Ochs department stores served communities for almost 100 years at various locations in Faribault and southern Minnesota. Faribault contractor William O’Neil constructed the building.

Theopold Mercantile Company Wholesale Grocery

303 Depot Square

Style: Romanesque Revival

Year Built: 1893

theomercaco_jpgThe development of railroad networks brought wholesale and distributing firms to Faribault, including the Theopold Mercantile Company, established in the 1880s. The building, located directly on a railroad line, provided storage for a variety of dry goods, including high grade cigars. Smaller buildings connected to the main structure housed the Theopold-Morris Candy Company and a print shop. Rising from this business success, the Theopold family held a socially prominent role in turn-of-the-century Faribault.

Security Bank/Theopold Block

302 Central Avenue N.

Style: Classical Revival

Year Built: 1870

securitybankA Classical Revival-style brick facade covers a stone structure constructed originally by mercantile entrepreneur F.A. Theopold. The building was leased by Security Bank in 1899. The bank eventually purchased the building, and a fourth story was added in 1914, possibly the same year that brick was used to radically alter the structure’s appearance.

Timothy McCarthy Building

24 3rd Street NW

Style: Italianate

Year Built: 1884

timothy-mccarthy-bldgFaribault’s only polished marble facade highlights this architecturally significant Italianate storefront. Irish immigrant and bulding owner T.J. McCarthy attended Shattuck School under the sponsorship of Father George Keller. Part-owner of a brickyard, McCarthy later purchased the Faribault Marble works with J.H. Nightengale and provided undertaking services in conjunction with his marble and granite business.

Wolf Building

216-218 Central Avenue

Style: Italianate

Year Built: 1878

wolf-building_jpgA grocer, a dentist and the Citizen’s National Bank have been housed in this architecturally interesting building. A broken pediment projects from the cornice with a date plate and finial. Decorative window hoods are characteristic of the Italianate style.

Lieb Block

202-204 Central Avenue

Style: Italianate

Year Built: 1882

lieb-building-2_jpgR.J. Lieb’s family came from the German-speaking province of Alsace-Lorraine in France. He opened his first shoe store in Faribault in a small frame building, then relocated the business to this building after its construction. The south wall of the building was adorned with a sign, painted by Jacob Fink, advertising the shoe store.

Dandelet Dry Goods Building

227 Central Avenue

Style: Art Deco and Italianate influences; altered

Year Built: ca. 1882

dandelet-dry-goods_jpgThe Italianate facade that graces so many other downtown Faribault buildings is partially obscured by a distinctive, Art Deco-style front. The black and cream vitrolite and strong lines undoubtedly attracted fashionable customers in the 1930′s, when the building was purchased and “modernized” by the Dandelet family.

Faribault Thresher Company/Farmer Seed and Nursery

818 4th Street Northwest

Style: Vernacular

Year Built: ca. 1890-1909

farmerseednursery_jpgThis stone warehouse is Faribault’s only industrial building on the National Register of Historic Places. The building originally housed the Faribault Thresher Company, then became home to the Farmer Seed Company in 1899. Both business reflect Faribault’s strong agricultural heritage. The Farmer Seed Company, originally based in Chicago, moved their operations to Faribault in 1894 “for the purpose of growing such farm and vegetable seeds as can be raised to advantage in Minnesota.” Additions to the original warehouse in the first decade of the twentieth century included a two story elevator and and the four upper stories.

Chase State Bank

101 3rd Street Northwest

Style: Classical Revival

Year Built: 1905

citizensstatebankRestored in 1993, this small structure reflects Classical Revival design principles with its graceful columns and the careful placement of its angled entrance. The Classical Revival style was favored for federal government buildings of the era and lent an air of official distinction to this local bank.